Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Assistant - Clinical Otolaryngology
at Vanderbilt University
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Core Accountabilities
- Organizational Impact: Performs non'routine tasks that significantly impact team's performance with minimal guidance.
- Problem Solving/Complexity of Work: Conducts research and analysis to solve some non-routine problems.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Applies broad job knowledge and has basic job skills in other areas.
- Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to less experienced team members.
- Key Responsibilities
- Directs and supports patient flow as well as unit operations by maintaining supplies, equipment and unit environmental standards.
- Facilitates identification of resources to meet patient healthcare needs.
- Performs/assists with procedures according to organizational/departmental standards.
- Collects and documents patient screening data for the healthcare team.
- Assists with patient and family education.
- Core Capabilities: Supporting Colleagues
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner
- Core Capabilities: Delivering Excellent Services
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support
- Core Capabilities: Ensuring High Quality
- Performs excellent work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards
- Ensures continuous improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond
- Fulfills safety and regulatory requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department
- Core Capabilities: Managing Resources Effectively
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error
- Core Capabilities: Fostering Innovation
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work
- Technical Capabilities
- Clinical Competencies: Demonstrates sufficient fundamental proficiency to assist and perform clinical care including but not limited to vital signs, phlebotomy, specimen collection and point of care testing as directed by unit standards.
- Clinical Patient Documentation: Has limited experience or training working with clinical applications for patient documentation.
- Environment of Care: Demonstrates sufficient fundamental proficiency with set up and maintenance of patient exam room, supplies and equipment.
- Planning & Organizing: Demonstrates ability to anticipate basic resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work for own assignments and responsibilities. Appropriately matches equipment, and capital resources to task demands. Prepares and presents clear and accurate status reports on projects and assignments.
Job requires High school graduate or GED.
*Effective October 2015 all new hire Medical Assistants will be required to have a certification from one of the VUMC approved MA programs. Vanderbilt endorsed MA certifications: American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), National Healthcareer Association (NHA), National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP). Others organizations may be considered on a case by case basis.