Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Alzheimer's Association
The Alzheimer’s Association’s mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. The Association is the world’s leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. We are the largest private funder of Alzheimer research and the premier source of information and support for the more than 5 million Americans with Alzheimer’s disease and their 15 million families and caregivers. The Alzheimer’s Association has been recognized as a top large nonprofit to work for by The NonProfit Times, the leading information provider for the nonprofit sector from 2010 to 2017.
The Senior Accountant is a dynamic, collaborative, and driven person who will support the financial aspects of assigned chapters. The Senior Accountant will provide accurate and timely reporting of financial information; including preparing general ledger transactions and account reconciliations, monthly reconciliations of donor databases to accounting system, chapter releases from restriction of temporarily restricted net assets; prepare the annual budgets.
Essential DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the functions of accounting, finance and chapter-wide budgets, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and oversees compliance at the chapter level of accounting and contract policies and procedures, including:
- Implement Home Office financial systems that support chapter operations and ensures that internal control systems are in place.
- Provide timely reporting and metrics to support Chapter(s) and division/department management as needed.
- Support assigned Chapter’s during the budgeting process.
- Work closely with the Home office Accounting and Donor Services departments in monitoring Chapter budget, determining shared revenue, coordinating annul audit process and bequests, preparing journal entries and all necessary aspects of finance and operations procedures.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of accounting, day-to-day operations and capital expenditures of assigned Chapters, including:
- Prepare and process Accounts Payable request forms, track payment requests
- Prepare and process Accounts Receivable invoices upon request, track payments
- Manage and monitor expenses and reporting requirements
- Coordinate daily cash handling batches and enter deposits into accounting system
- Prepare monthly database reconciliations
- Assist with monthly close process in collaboration with the Home office
- Research and resolve various inquiries from staff
- Monitor temporarily and permanently restricted funds and prepare related releases.
- Advise FRD on financial and operations issues as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal reporting requirements and Association standards.
- Grants Management
- Manage financial reporting associated with grants received by chapter(s), ensuring appropriate spending of grant funds within time frame of grants.
- Provide written reports as needed for Grant Manager to submit to funder according to funder’s schedule.
- Work with Grant Manager to determine costs for chapter activities for use in grant request
- Monitor grant expenditures and assist with Release from Restriction on a quarterly basis
- Maintain official file of grant contracts
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or work experience in related field. Not-for-Profit experience preferred.
- Five or more years of management experience.
- Strong overall operations management experience encompassing finance, budgeting and strategic planning.
- Effective financial skills and ability to analyze historical data, day-to-day operational expenses, capital expenditures and forecast/plan/budget accordingly.
- Experience in strategic planning and budget development and management.
- Experience acting as both the "go-to" person and a trainer who can teach others how to budget, set priorities and build a team-driven culture.
Equipment / SOFTWARE:
The Senior Accountant will be proficient in:
- Microsoft Office and Google applications and accounting software packages
- Google Suite: Mail, Calendar, Docs and Hangout
- Sage Financial Software, MAS 500 and BI360 Financial Reporting Software a plus
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Superior motivator (written and verbal) with the ability to encourage others to maximize potential and achieve challenging organization goals
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with attention to detail to a variety of audiences
- Strategic decision making skills, demonstrating effective cost/benefit (trade-off) analysis and reflecting process oriented solutions
- Goal- and outcome- focused, reflecting a clear appreciation of both the needs of diverse client populations and the organization’s operational limits
- Demonstrated management skills, including the ability to set clear goals, manage multiple priorities, organize projects, establish and manage budgets, develop work processes and supervise professionals
- Innovative with the requisite skills to navigate and negotiate organizational change
- Ability to anticipate, identify, organize and analyze growth opportunities
- High level of integrity, diplomacy and initiative
- Strong awareness of the social, economic, political environment in which the Association operates, since part of its effectiveness is in partnering in the larger community, with ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse populations
- Ability to coach and develop staff and volunteers
- Ability to operate designated office equipment
- Willingness to work on evenings and weekends if necessary
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license and insurance
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the jobholder. He/she will be required to follow any other duties as requested by his/her supervisor or manager. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of job duties. Essential job functions may change when necessary.